In the late 14th century, Franciscan monks from Bosnia were given ownership of a part of the Badija island when they began building a monastery.
Most of the monastery was built in the middle of the 15th century in late Gothic style.
The cloister of the monastery is an attractive example od Dalmatian Gothic style.
Although the monks maintained a presence on the island for centuries, the island and its monastery were used as a sports centre from the 1950s to 2000s. The monastery and portion of the island were then returned to the Franciscan order.
Badija was also a filming location for Crni Biseri film, shoot in 1958 (see some stills from the film + some clips)
The island is forested with pine and oak trees and bordered by rocky and pebble beaches and is, therefore, a popular place for a day trip by locals and visitors alike.